So it’s only been, what, 2.5 months since I started this series? On January 30th I published The Basics for Breakfast specifically aimed at feeding non vegans vegan food. I also said I’d write others. Sorry it took me so long to get to that point! The simple premise of this series is that sometimes we need to go back to the basics for a variety of reasons. Like me you might be the only vegan in your circle and be in need of some things to convince them that you don’t only eat grass. Or you might be a new vegan looking for some ideas. Or your situation may be entirely different. But here are some basic ideas about easy lunches that are vegan. Not all of these will appeal to you and, yes, some of these may include vegan convenience foods. But I have found that when attempting to transition from a SAD (Standard American Diet) it sometimes makes the change easier if you have some foods that remind you of your old way. And one note: These foods can certainly be eaten at times other than lunch. I just needed a jumping off point!
Basic Lunch Ideas
- Peanut Butter and jelly sandwich. I know, I know. But there is a reason this is a classic sandwich! My son likes soy nut butter and jelly, and my daughter prefers just peanut butter on a bagel. Vegan food doesn’t have to be “crazy food.
- Pizza! I mean, who doesn’t love pizza? There are some good pre-made ones out there plus you can easily make your own without cheese. Just put lots of topping on and forget the cheese! Or there are some decent vegan cheese subs out there. I am not a huge fan but daiya is pretty good. You can also go a little crazy here. Why just put tomato sauce on crust? Why not hummus? Or salsa? Or vegan pesto? The possibilities are endless. I often make my own crust but my local grocery store makes a nice one that is vegan in the refrigerated section.
- Soup, and maybe a sandwich. I mean, how easy is that. There are some good canned vegan soups out there or you could easily make your own. Many tomato soups are vegan as is (check the label!) and, when made with nondairy milk, are good. I love gazpacho (cold soup) in the summer time and I’ve found soup to be one of the easiest things to make.
- Things with vegan hot dogs. Can I admit that what I miss the most from my SAD days are things like hot dogs and marshmallows? Not exactly the healthiest thing. And so I don’t eat very many of them any more, even the vegan variety. But when I was making the transition I ate more vegan hot dogs. Sometimes in a bun, sometimes mixed in with vegan baked beans.
- Green Salads. If you make a big salad, put some nuts and other stuff on top, most people will be ok with that for lunch. I like nuts, dried fruit, and lots of different veggies.
- There are also rice salads, quinoa salads, bean salads, pasta salads…there are so many possibilities!
Wow! This vegan lunches one is proving to be the easiest one yet! Add some fruit and some sorbet and you’ve got a great vegan lunch that most non-vegans would be a-ok with!
All these photos are mine though not all the recipes are. You can look through all my recipes on my pinterest board if you’re interested. But my point wasn’t specifically to push my recipes but to give you ideas and thoughts. What works best for you for lunch that would work to convince non-vegans??